Thursday 3 December 2009

Desert Breeze Authors tackle NaNoWriMo!




Each November is known in the writing community as "National Novel Writing Month" or "NaNoWriMo." It's a month of flurry and increased activity. The goal of NaNoWriMo? To write a 50,000 word novel in a month. It's a daunting challenge, trust me. This month, 3 Desert Breeze Authors tackled it - K Dawn Bird, Me (Hehe, Stephanie Burkhart) and Chrystal Kincaid. Chrystal, can you weigh in and let us know how it went?

K Dawn Bird worked on her novel, "Queen of Hearts."

Queen of Hearts will be my first historical. There's a lot at stake with this novel because Desert Breeze Publishing is holding an April 2010 release date for it. That said, even though NaNoWrimo's final word count goal is 50,000, mine is 65,000. The heroine in Queen of Hearts is a newspaper reporter who becomes a member of the O.S.S. (spies).

K Dawn came in as a winner at 51,766 words. Congrats to you!!
Here's her NaNoWriMo page if you want to visit:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/525296



Stephanie Burkhart worked on her novel, "The Count's Lair."

Can a man haunted by an ancient curse fall in love? That’s what Count Anton Varga dares to explore when he meets beautiful and talented Lady Amelia Andrássy. Anton rediscovers Amelia in Vienna, Austria-Hungary, giving a concert and he hungers to pursue her, only he has a secret which he fears she will not accept. With the help and support of his friend and servant, Georg, Anton decides to win Amelia’s heart. Will the journey bring him the love he’s hungered for, or will it tear his heart apart?

The Count's Lair is second in "The Hungarian Moon" series and will be published by Desert Breeze in a future date.

Stephanie came in as a winner at 50,291. Congrats!
Here's her NaNoWriMo page if you want to visit:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/526402


Congrats to everyone who tackled NaNoWriMo. If you'd like to sign in and tell us about your experience this year, we'd love to hear it. I can tell you, I was prepared. I'd done a lot of preliminary work before I began. I did my character bios, maps, and outlines before I started. I tried to do a steady 2K words a day and most of the time, I managed it. That proved the challenge especially with a 7 and a 3 year old in the house. I still had to work 8 hours a day, do the dishes and wash the laundry. Not an easy feat!

Smiles
Steph

3 comments:

  1. I've never done NaNoWriMo but impressed with the brave writers who do it. Congrats, Stephanie and K Dawn, for meeting the writing challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diane. It was definately a challenge. For me, being mentally prepared was half the battle!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't fare so well. Life, as usual, got in the way. I made it to about 9K words before my job and the kids (including baby Aiden) just demanded more time. Perhaps another year! CONGRATS to those who won! Envy, Chrystal is thy name!

    ReplyDelete