Tuesday 27 July 2010

Author Spotlight Week - Daniellle Thorne shares her passion for Contemporary and Historicals


When asked why I write contemporary and historical, the first thing I think of is my love of the past. I'd always enjoyed history, but when I was introduced to genealogy about twenty years ago, I began to feel a true connection with those that came before us. I'm a learner, too. I hunger for information, and facts and historical data always captivate me. Writing historicals gives me an opportunity to do the things I love to do most: to daydream and to research. It's a challenge and somewhat of an honor to bring the past back to life. And it's an adventure.

As far as contemporary, this may raise a few brows but…it's easy! When I write contemporary romances, I feel much less restrained because, hey, I'm living it. I don’t have to research food or clothing, or worry too much about parts of speech. Writing modern romance, besides the technical aspect of putting a plotline together, can be very relaxing. Like walking barefoot in the sand. As long as I'm able to integrate the beauty of family, friends and Mother Nature into my work, I feel satisfied with the long hours it takes to put a manuscript together. If we don't write what we don't love, what's the point?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Danielle,
    I agree with your love of history. It makes us who we are, so we do need to know about it. Your new book sounds ever bit as good as the one I read, and I liked it a lot. Good luck with Heart and Compass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Danielle and best wishes for many huge sales. BTW...I love the cover for By Heart and By Compass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new release, Dani. I wish you much success with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what, Dani? I have trouble with contemporary! LOL It seems that today's "lingo" is something I'm not familiar with, and I just can't get it quite right among my characters. :)

    You're so adept that I don't doubt for a minute it's a snap for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting article, Danielle. And I think you write contemporary and historical with equal skill. And I can't wait to see what you do with a Regency. I'm sure it will have some connection with the sea, right?
    Linda

    ReplyDelete