Wednesday 22 September 2010

Author Spotlight Week - Jennifer Hartz shares her favorite movie


What is my favorite movie? Well, where can you find a movie that has a rag-tag group of misfits searching for pirate treasure, while being chased by bad guys, all to a Cyndi Lauper enhanced soundtrack? Only from the mind of Steven Spielberg, of course! My favorite movie of all time is The Goonies and you can see bits and pieces of this if you look closely at Future Savior. The most obvious connection is the idea of ordinary people being thrust into a not so ordinary adventure.

Closely following The Goonies on my favorite movie list would have to be Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings. Of course both stories are very high in the speculative aspect, but they are also a series, which I love. I think I am so drawn to a good speculative series because I like the idea of really digging in deep with an imaginary world (or galaxy) and learning a ton about it. Just glossing over the surface of a speculative world doesn't really connect you to the story. You need all of the details of the world to really feel like you are a part of it. With a series you really get to know the world and the characters in the world which, for me, leads to a greater enjoyment of the story. Perhaps this is why my own speculative stories contain at least three books each… or at least they will when I finally find time to write them!

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite movie too! I love Goonies and watch it at often. I've gotten all 4 of my kids to love it too...not that it would be hard. Pirates, friendships, and adventure...what more could you ask for?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete