Wednesday 3 November 2010

Author Spotlight Week -Vijaya Schartz shares her favorite movie


When it comes to sci-fi, I would have to say there are more relevant TV shows than movies. If you do not count horror movies (like the Alien series) true sci-fi movies are rare. There was THE MATRIX series, of course, a little dark but very interesting intellectually, like most good sci-fi movies. There was the blue flying creatures of Avatar. I loved that one, but mostly for the special effects. The last sci-fi movie I saw in a theater was with Leonardo Di Caprio, a tangled mess of dreams within dreams. I liked it, but found it a little too twisted. My husband didn’t get it at all.

But my favorite kind of sci-fi movies are space operas, like Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate. These are the movies I really enjoy without having to twist my brain cells into knots. After all, I go to the movies to relax and see the good guys win. But that’s just me. I’m a sucker for popular fiction. And that’s another reason why I write romantic sci-fi. I’m definitely partial to good endings, and I hate it when characters you’ve learned to love don’t get the happiness they deserve.

TV, though is where I find my regular sci-fi fixes. From Battlestar Galactica to Caprica, from Stargate SG1 to Stargate Atlantis and now Stargate Universe, even daily reruns of Star Trek the next generation, I have to have at least one hour of sci-fi to enjoy before I can go to bed. In the summer, I also watch Eureka, whimsical and inventive. To think of it, no wonder I write sci-fi. All these shows are running in my head while I sleep. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment