Tuesday 19 April 2011

Author Spotlight Week -Theresa Stillwagon shares her passion for writing contemporary romance


I think I like writing contemporary romance because it's… contemporary. I live in the now, so it's easier for me to write about it. I like history but I don't think I could write in that time period. I don't really like to do research, and historical need to be researched. Research is relatively easy in contemporary. Once I have an ideal of the heroine and hero and know the conflict between them, I can start writing. When I run into the need to research something, I put a comment in the manuscript or I just do the research right then. It stops the flow of my writing and gives me a little break. I don't usually have to do a lot of research stops while writing. It's mostly at the beginning with description and information about one of the character's careers.

I also like to write contemporary because I can use my own experiences and feelings to enhance the story. I know if I'm laughing or crying; the reader will be too. So using my own experiences makes this easier for me. Yes, I know you can do this with all types of romances but to me it's just easier in a contemporary. I can relate to the characters better.

And there's no need to study history or world build. I really like that. I'm basically a lazy writer.

That being said, I'd love to try my hand at an historical romance one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment