Monday 27 August 2012

Author Spotlight - Things I Tell Myself Not To Do by Nike Chillemi


Stop carping! There, I've said it. I'm tired of hearing authors gripe about all their publisher is not doing for them. Hey, it's tough out there and unless I'm pulling down a six figure advance with Random House, I'm probably not going to get everything I'd like from my publisher. Actually, I'd like a limo sent to my door to take me everywhere I want to go. Now that's pure fiction…in the fantasy genre.

Revise, rewrite, tweek, and make it better. Listen to my critique group, listen to my best friend who read the work in progress, listen to my editor. But once the book has been released, let it go. Stop rewriting in my head and get on to the next project.
Take the work seriously, but don't take myself too seriously. I've come a long way since I wrote my first serious whodunit over six years ago. I keep the manuscript around just for a good laugh, it's that bad. I can see that my writing has improved and is improving…and hopefully that will keep on going that way.

Don't stop counting my blessings. There are any number of writers who would willingly change places with me. I really do believe in the American dream. With enough hard work, over time (and that's so key because it doesn't happen overnight) even I can be a great success. That doesn't mean I'll be on the New York Times Best Seller List. But it does mean that if I keep at it, keep honing my craft, and keep up with smart marketing I will garner a reader following.

Don't ever take my readers for granted. They don't have to shell out the bucks to buy my novels. I'm very aware of that and appreciative of them. Don't sell them short. They're smart people. Don't write down to them. Don't give them pabulum. Treat readers with the respect they deserve.


Nike Chillemi ~ Crime Fictionista http://nikechillemi.wordpress.com/

Nike's latest release is: Perilous Shadows, Book 3 in the Sanctuary Point Series. You can find Nike's book here:

Desert Breeze Publishing. http://is.gd/2CY13PPurchase Links:

Amazon/Kindle. http://is.gd/W2Hm2N

Barnes and Noble/Nook. http://is.gd/RJF2zy

9 comments:

  1. Great advice for all of us, Nike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcy and Jackie...don't I know it's easier to give this advice than to take it.

    I'm a world class carper...that's why I put that one first. It's a reminder for moi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the limo...um...somebody might mention that to Gail for me. (pretty please) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Nike when I read that first bit of advice, coming from you, I had to wonder a bit, until I saw your comment here. Great reminders, even for you :) Blessings, BJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great...Good advice....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynette, Tracy, B.J., Elena...Yeah, this is the stuff I have to remind myself NOT to do.

    Maybe because I do it so often.

    Hey, has anyone reminded Gail about the limo? NO? Awww, shucks!

    ReplyDelete