Wednesday 31 August 2011

Author Spotlight - Gloria Clover shares her favorite movie


Let's talk about The Princess Bride. Though not as well know as Star Wars, Star Trek, or even Lord of the Rings, it turns out that the Princess Bride has its own cult following. I first saw this movie in college where I thought it was cute, but a little goofy. I've watched it numerous times since, and I think I love it more and more each time I watch it.

A few years ago I watched it with a group of teenagers from my church, many of which had never seen it before. What a pleasure when some of my favorite lines slid into their ears for the first time and they grabbed the magic of timeless film.

Because it's one of my family's favorite movies, we can all quote it in various situations. When heading off to do something: "Have fun storming the castle." After a particularly rough day: "You just shook your head. Doesn't that make you happy?" If my husband forgets his strength: "Gently!" And, of course, if we happen to stumble across a really poor movie or book, "([Skipping, the Lord's name,] Grandpa, what'd you read me this thing for?"

Which, I hope, none of you will be saying after you've finished Washed Under the Waves. But if you do, then I just suggest you read it again, and see if it doesn't get better with each reading, just like the Princess Bride.

What is your favorite quote from the Princess Bride?
 

12 comments:

  1. We went to a picnic where we had to wear the "Hello, my name is" name tags. So I wrote, "Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

    People either laughed because they get it, or just shook their heads because they thought I was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As you wish" is definitely my favorite line, followed by the charming looks on the hero's face when he says it. I loved that movie!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you used my favorite, "Have fun storming the castle." Our small group leader says this to us every Friday night as we leave his house after our meeting. I think it fits.
    "Mostly dead is not all dead" is another good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your interview. Love the cover. Looking forward to reading your book. Wishing you the best of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Princess Bride was a favorite of my family's & my home-school group's. So, of course, when I married my husband, I had to introduce it to his family--and now it's one of their favorite movies too! :)

    I think our favorite quote, next to "Have fun storming the castle!" is, "You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Used when someone keep stuttering, messing up their wording, or uses a word wrongly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My nephew is here with me today and I've just found out he's never seen this movie, so guess what we'll be doing tonight...

    "There will be blood tonight."

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Princess Bride is a family favorite! My favorite line is "It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass." I often quote in response to a question (usually with the result of a raised eyebrow).

    My wife's favorite line is "You think a little head jiggle is supposed to make me happy, hmmm.....?"

    Great question!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although many of already claimed the line, I too like, "Bye bye, boys. Have fun storming the castle." I used to say this to my sons when they left for school in the morning." I also like, "I'm not a witch! I'm your wife."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love the Princess Bride and there are so many great lines, but for now I'd have to chose Andre the Giant's response to, "Stop rhyming, I mean it!" and he responds with, "Anyone want a peanut?" Too funny. Nice Spotlight, Gloria!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never get involved in a land war in Asia!

    If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything!

    I would not say such things if I were you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Missed the movie--so now I have to go out and get it. Loved Washed Under the Waves even if I didn't see Princess Bride. Linda Turner from PA

    ReplyDelete