Tuesday 30 August 2011

Author Spotlight - Gloria Clover talks about her passion for speculative fiction


All fiction that I've written over the years has always had a romance genre feel to it. I've written 20,000 word novellas and 50,000 word category, and 65,000 word cozy mystery with major romantic elements, and an 80,000 word stand alone contemporary romance. Washed Under the Waves is the longest, (95,000 words) and first speculative I've written. Like I mentioned yesterday, I'm not much on research, but nor do I want to get the facts wrong, so I've just steered clear of attempting to write historical romance. But with this set up of futuristic ... that opens all kinds of creative doors.

Washed Under the Waves, though set in the unknown future at least centuries beyond our current time, takes place on an island that has only been touched by the modern world two times in its history. So the island's setting is simple, non-technological, and often reads like a medieval society. With a few modern touches -- language, harnessing natural gas, and their literature.

The founders of Undae were Roman citizens from the first century B.C. so a lot of the setting centers around that society. They have a Roman bathhouse, amphitheater, and a spattering of Latin words. But because of the two touches with the outside world, they also read in English and use post-electrovian phrases in their dialogue as well.

Then, there are some speculative elements. Probably the biggest one is the medallion that takes the King's children right into the throne room. But there is other speculation on my part, particularly of how society will develop in the next couple hundred years -- which leads us to the pirates with lasers part of the novel.

All that is, of course, to keep the reader grounded in a simple society that is really in the future. With the biggest thing to remember that this world I created is in our world, on earth. The King is our King.

What do you like about speculative fiction? And if you've never tried it, what would entice you to read one?

8 comments:

  1. Being a romance reader since my early teens, I love a story in which the hero and heroine overcome all obstacles and "live happily ever after."

    The idea of a medallion that would take me directly into the throne room of the king sounds both cool and appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having read Gloria Clover's other stories, I am sure this one will keep me absorbed and spark new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What Ifs" have always fascinated me. However, I like them grounded in events or processes that could actually happen without going into a science fiction or paranormal realm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that all the elements of a good story, characters, conflict,theme, are set someplace else. Someplace where things can happen that don't happen around here. When people used to ask me if I followed soap operas on TV, I'd answer that I prefer my soaps set in space, being a decades long Trekker. Spec. fiction also allows you to explore a lot of issues without being pushy, as Kathy Tyers does in the Firebird Trilogy. Gloria, I hope this is a big success for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, guys. Glad you dropped by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read it. I just finished a historical novel set in Medieval times. I also like fantasy and speculative (just learning what that is, but I love all of C.S. Lewis, which has elements of it).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting interview so far. Good comments and insight. Wish you well for your novel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mesh a medieval type culture with a simple island paridise (paridise after the King has His way),then add pirates and islanders with hidden agendas, mix in a case of mistaken identity and a few subtle lessons on trust and responsiblity along with some romance and straight-from-the-heart-of-God love and whip in a tsunami...Washed under the Waves. That was simple, huh? Not. I appreciate your skill and insight. Linda Turner

    ReplyDelete