Wednesday 21 September 2011

Author Spotlight - May Williams shares her favorite film


As I mentioned in the Q and A from Monday, I love vintage film so I thought I would talk about one of my favorites today. The film that I could watch over and over is Desk Set (1957). This film from 20th Century Fox stars Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. I don't think there has even been a Hollywood couple with more chemistry than these two.

In the movie, Hepburn (ironically named Bunny) works in the research department of a major TV network. Tracy plays one of the first computer experts who is supposed to be designing a computer to do the work of the research department. As he finds out (and we already know here in the 21st century), the computer can only do so much. People have more value and more knowledge than machines. In the process of figuring this out, Hepburn and Tracy fall in love.

Although I enjoy the spunk of Hepburn in all of her films, I think she is particularly savvy and witty in Desk Set. The three ladies she works with are equally smart plus they all wear some fabulous 1950s dresses. My favorite scene is the Christmas party that roams through the different departments at the network. I've never been to a party quite like that, but it sure looks like fun.

3 comments:

  1. I adore this movie and this couple, too. I think Kate had so much charisma, she had chemistry with all her leading men. I adore her with Cary Grant, too.

    And the clothes, ah, yes, the clothes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The character Peg where a silver dress that I want. I have some old Vogue patterns that were my grandmother's. One of these days, I'm going to make a 50s dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the films from the 40's amd 50's.

    ReplyDelete