Tuesday 20 September 2011

Author Spotlight - May Williams talks about her passion for historicals


I love history. I come from a long line of serious history buffs. I think the WWII setting that I use in Flyboy really comes from my experiences as a kid. I remember reading William Manchester’s The Glory and the Dream when I was in about the sixth grade. In a nutshell, Manchester’s book is the history of America from 1932-1972. I got an official foundation about WWII from that book, but many personal stories from the people in the small town where I grew up. Whether they were veterans or housewives, they all had a story to tell about life during the war.

My interest in history isn’t only 20th century. I love to look back to time periods when women wore beautiful gowns, everyone had polished manners, and rakes could be reformed. My next book by Desert Breeze is a regency romance called Enchanted by a Lily which is due out on March 15, 2012. Regardless of the time period, history and romance go hand and hand for me. I love the depth that history can give to a story, but a book isn’t a satisfying read for me unless romance blossoms into a happy ending.



Contact and Buy links:

www.maywilliams.com

maywilliams2@twitter.com

May Williams on Facebook

http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-201/May-Williams-Landed-by/Detail.bok

http://www.amazon.com/Landed-by-a-Flyboy-ebook/dp/B005K4YCHS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1315964455&sr=8-5

2 comments:

  1. Yep, May, you said it exactly right. History adds that extra story element able to almost becomes character itself. And I also love a happy ending, but it has to be hard won. I write some contemporary romance, but I have to admit that it doesn't thrill me like drawing life-stories out of historical tidbits. Blessings~
    Naomi (Empire in Pine series)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *become* Lol! Editing... editing...

    ReplyDelete