Monday 17 October 2011

Author Spotlight - Q& with Barbara Scott


STEPH: I don't know much about Talk of the Town. What's it about?

BARBARA: Talk of the Town is a romantic comedy about a couple who play out their love-at-first-sight relationship in the full glare of the spotlight. Max and Kari meet when he's the hero of the day who foils an armed robbery and she's the first reporter on the scene. Sparks fly and the viewers take notice, clamoring for more. When they become engaged, they are invited to become the wedding couple on the channel's annual bridal event show.

STEPH: Where did you find the inspiration for it?

BARBARA: An old early 80's TV series, The Greatest American Hero, inspired the reluctant hero Max becomes without the paranormal elements or the suit, of course. Depicting Max as a man who struggles to overcome his impulsive tendencies came from years of working with kids who had similar difficulties. I taught them in middle school and often wondered how they'd cope in adulthood.

STEPH: How long did it take you to research?

BARBARA: Most of my research involved nailing down facts and flavor of the setting and workplace for this contemporary novel. I plunged into the book and did the necessary research as I moved along. I had the most fun with the pre-marital counseling scenes. The web abounds with sets of "essential questions" for potential mates.

STEPH: How important is the setting to the novel?

BARBARA: Since the Town plays a title role in this book, the setting, St. Louis, is very important. The landmarks and culture of the area play essential roles in the story.

STEPH: Hollywood is calling! Cast the main characters.

BARBARA: I see Max as Chris Pine who played the young Captain Kirk in the recent Star Trek retake. He has the right swagger. Emma Stone of Easy A and The Help would be good as Kari. Cam Gigandet charmed me as Jack in Burlesque. He would do the same as Todd. A younger Jennifer Hudson could bring Dahlia to life and sing the theme song as well.

STEPH: Are you a plotter or a pantser?


BARBARA: I do a little of both. I enjoy the surprises of pantsing when the characters get their head and take off in directions all their own. This method gives me access to creative corners of my brain where m muses come out to play. Plotting has a place in every book, however. Eventually a structure must be imposed and the happy ending must take place. I have one book which I plotted from beginning to end before I started. That book took me the longest to write. I already knew the story, so the drive to complete it was diminished.

STEPH: What's your writing space like?

BARBARA: Lately, it seems my writing space is anywhere I plop my laptop. With two moves in the last year and a stint in a physical rehab facility, I've learned I don't need a familiar space surrounded by books in oreder to write. Have keyboard, will travel.

STEPH: Do you listen to music when you write?

BARBARA: I do have to have some ambient noise in my writing environment. It doesn't have to be music. Often it's TV in the background.

STEPH: Do you have an ebook reader? If so, which one.

BARBARA: I have an iPad2 on my wish list. Until I get one, I read books on my laptop or my iPhone.

STEPH: Fun Question: Who is your favorite football team?

BARBARA: I loved the old Cardiac Cardinals of the 80's before they went to Phoenix and the Super Bowl winning Rams when Kurt Warner was the QB. I haven't been into football much since then.



Barbara Scott
West of Heaven
Talk of the Town, Oct. '11
Listen with Your Heart
Cast a Pale Shadow, EPIC Award winner
Haunts of the Heart
www.barbarascottink.com

1 comment:

  1. We LOVED the Greatest American Hero, too! Nice post, and great to get to know more about you. We heart the DBP spotlight for, well, spotlighting our fellow authors!

    ReplyDelete