Monday 30 April 2012

Author Spotlight - Q&A with Patty Froese


STEPH: I don't know much about "Perfect on Paper." What's it about?

PATTY: This is a story about Anne, a well known mystery writer, who comes to the small town of Charity Falls to take over a bookstore left to her in her maiden aunt's will. The lawyer in charge of her aunt's estate is the handsome Jake. They are immediately drawn to each other, but they seem to want different things. Jake wants a wife to stay home and have kids. Anne has worked too hard in her career to give it up. When it seems like they should just call the whole thing off, Anne discovers a tantalizing mystery--her maiden aunt wasn't so "maiden" after all... But who was her wartime love, and what happened to him?

In this story I look at what it takes to make a love last forever.

STEPH: How long did it take you to write?

PATTY: I wrote this book in about two weeks, revised it a few times, edited it like a mad woman, and all totaled, I think it ended up being about three months of work. It was worth it, though! I loved this story.

STEPH: How much research did you have to do?

PATTY: This story didn't use a huge amount of research because I drew on a lot of old stories in my own family. I hadn't meant to use, them, but they fit in so well that I left them there.

STEPH: How does the cover reflect the story within?


PATTY: Anne is a writer, so the open book depicts that part of her life. The ring is a wedding ring that her aunt wore on a chain around her neck for years. This is a scene from the wedding at the end of the book (that doesn't spoil it for you, does it?), a winter evening ceremony in an old, drafty church.


STEPH: Anne is the heroine. What are her strengths? Weakness?

PATTY: Anne can be a bit of a workaholic. She's poured herself into her career for so long that she can't conceive of slowing down or changing pace. This determination is also a strength, though, because it keeps her going when times get tough. It keeps her dedicated to the things dearest to her... it's just a matter of getting Jake close to her heart.


STEPH: What does Jake find appealing about her?

PATTY: Jake is smitten, so he finds pretty much everything endearing about her. ;) He's a bit star struck, though. He's never met an author before, especially a well known author, from New York. Being a small town lawyer, he feels a bit daunted in her presence.

STEPH: What is the theme of the novel?

PATTY: What does it take to make love last? This is what both characters are concerned about, and what I examine in this story.

STEPH: As a writer, where do you draw inspiration from?

PATTY: Inspiration comes from all over the place! Sometimes it's a conversation, or a picture, or a Youtube snippet from an opera... Most recently, I asked my Facebook fans what kind of book they'd like to see me write and their answers sparked an idea immediately.

STEPH: Do you have an ebook reader? If so, which one?

PATTY: I used to have a Kobo, but not anymore. I actually prefer to read on my laptop. That way I can be doing a few things at once and use my reading as a break from other things I'm getting done.


STEPH: Fun question: What are your plans for spring?

PATTY: Well, I live in Alberta Canada, so first of all, spring has to come! No, I'm joking. We do have spring now, and my plans include birthday celebrations, walks to the park with my son, our wedding anniversary.... my big goal this year? I'd love to start growing my own herbs. I know, that sounds incredibly dull, but there you have it. ;) The drama in my life is all purely fictional!

7 comments:

  1. Patty, your characters Anne and Jake sound so great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love the premise of the story. The maiden aunt, the war, awesome. Sounds like a great read. And I'm a big opera fan, too. Glad to find another one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, nice to know more about you and I love your writing with steroids story! The story sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds a great story and isn't it amazing how fast you can write when it's the right story?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Angela. When it's a story that you can't shake, you can't write it down fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the story was so THERE for me that I got it down incredibly fast. The polishing took a lot more time, though, and I had a good friend edit it for me to help me get some perspective.

    Thanks, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great premise. I agree the things we are close to and/or have experienced are easiest to write about.

    ReplyDelete