Thursday 30 June 2011

Author Spotlight - AR Norris talks about her favorite authors

Author HG Wells

I have a lots of favorite authors, and all for different reasons. It's so hard to choose Isaac Asimov and H.G. Wells were awesome and triggered my love of possibility and obsession of the future. (And it is an obsession.) Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King, and Dean Koontz got me excited about speculative fiction and a love for the "sense of other". Jane Austen really touched my romantic side.

The richness and visual they wrote out on paper filled my lower class world with action and adventure. I didn't need anything other than a secondhand book to lose myself in. Edgar Allan Poe was the first time I remember crying over a story and understanding what it meant to write with feeling and emotion. Stephen King was the first time I remember having to sleep with the lamp on after I grew out of being afraid of the dark. And Dean Koontz introduced me to real characters caught up in amazing situations. Jane Austen was the first writer to make me sigh and hope to be swooned by a boy.

When I decided to become a writer, these authors taught me an even more important lesson. All of them were dedicated to their craft. They submerged themselves in their genre and researched every aspect. As an example, Isaac was so focused on his imaginary world he could write in a bare white room and still churn out a wonderful, colorful story that explored future concepts and the consequences of today's actions. Edgar Allan Poe was so dedicated he focused only on writing, at the cost of financial stability.

****

Steph: You know I LOVED HG Wells. I haven't read him per se, but we all know how his stories inspired the muse. I just wanted to let you know that I get as giddy as you when I think about him.
Smiles

No comments:

Post a Comment