Monday 20 June 2011

Author Spotlight - Q&A with Jennifer Hartz


STEPH: Jenn's latest release is Resurrection, Future Savior, Book 2. Can you tell me a little more about it?

JENN:1. The adventure in Meric Continues! The story of Future Savior was far too large for one book. As the story developed in my head I realized that it could easily be broken down into five parts. Future Savior Book Two: Resurrection is simply the second installment of the story. At the end of Future Savior Book One: Conception we were left hanging… or the lead character Christina was literally left hanging from a tree and presumed dead. Resurrection picks up right where the story left off. We are introduced to some new characters, we lose some friends along the way, and there are many amazing resurrections from the past.

STEPH:How long did it take to write?

JENN: I have an insanely busy life that includes a three hour commute, but I was able to complete the novel in less than seven months while dipping my preverbal pen into another project as well.

STEPH: Did you do a lot of research for the novel?

JENN: I hate doing research. I think that’s why fantasy appeals to me. I can simply make it up. But I did a small smattering of research for a few facts in the early part of the book.


STEPH: Where did the inspiration for the story come from?

JENN: My own crazy imagination! As I said earlier, I have a three hour commute to work so I spend my time plotting and dreaming up stories. On a more tangible level, I’m also highly inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.

STEPH:If your story was going to be made into a movie, who would you cast as the leads?

JENN: Hands down, without a doubt and no questions asked the male lead for the character Shaw would have to be played by Kellan Lutz (Emmett from Twilight fame). As I wrote Shaw I had Kellan Lutz in mind. For the female lead of Christina Vaughn I’ve got a few lovely ladies that pop into my head. Alyssa Milano has always been a favorite. Along with Kate Beckinsale. But now I really like Sienna Guillory. Sienna has been in a lot of fantasy stuff including “Eragon” and “Inkheart”.

STEPH: What is the theme of the novel?

JENN: The overarching theme through all of The Future Savior Series is the struggle between good and evil. There is also a divine theme suggesting that there is a God in control even if we don’t see His work at times. The series is also heavy in biblical mirroring which is a treat to the Christian readers because the mirroring creates almost a scavenger hunt kind of feel. They will probably be saying to themselves at some point, “Okay, where in the Bible did the author pull that from?” or “Hey! I recognize that story!”

STEPH: What do you want readers to take away from the novel when they finish it?

JENN: A desire to want to know what happens next! After reading Book One: Conception a multitude of people told me that they could not wait to read Book Two to discover what happens next. I’m really hoping for the same reaction after they read Book Two: Resurrection.

STEPH:Do you have an ebook reader? If so, which one?

JENN: I’ve got a Kindle and I absolutely LOVE it! It is so easy and so convenient. I really like the text to speech feature and the customer service I’ve received through Amazon has been outstanding.

STEPH:What's the last movie you saw?

JENN:“King Fu Panda Two”… I have a three year old son. But I cannot wait for the final installment of Harry Potter!

STEPH: I just took my boys to Kung Fu Panda 2 yesterday! Joe is 4, so I know movie-going isn't easy for you right now. What's your writing space like?

JENN: Usually I’m cross-legged on my couch with my laptop… with plenty of chocolate or potato chips nearby.

1 comment:

  1. Future Savior is a great series, Jennifer.

    Write faster.

    Toni

    ReplyDelete