Tuesday 15 February 2011

Author Spotlight Week - Melanie Atkins shares her passion for Romantic Suspense


Suspense is my genre of choice because I like being on the edge of my seat. I love mysteries, and the intricate puzzles detectives must put together in order to solve their cases. Cops, serial killers, danger… if any of those elements are in a book, a TV show, or a movie, I'm there. My favorite shows are cops shows: Castle, Law & Order SVU, In Plain Sight, Rizzoli & Isles, Memphis Beat, The Glades, and so on. And my favorite authors are Lisa Gardner, John Sanford, Tess Gerritsen, Karen Rose, Linda Castillo, Erica Spindler… do you sense a trend here? Scare me, make the hair stand up on my arms, make me grit my teeth. I like reading books that are gritty and dark, with a heaping helping of emotion.

I love to read and watch suspense, and it's what I write. I try to get my facts correct by talking with law enforcement professionals and doing plenty of research on my own. I used to be married to a cop, and I've attended two civilian police academies and Forensic University. Later this month, I'm scheduled to attend the Writers' Police Academy in North Carolina. I can't wait. So look for more cop stories -- along with a little romance -- from me in the future. Those stories get my blood pumping and keep me putting words on the page. Nothing is more motivating than plotting crime fiction.

1 comment: