Thursday 8 April 2010

Featured Author Interview - K Dawn Byrd in character as "Daphne Dean" from Queen of Hearts


We're here today with Daphne Dean, the main character from Queen of Hearts. It's set in the 1940's during World War II and Daphne's here to tell us a little bit more of the story.

STEPH: Welcome, Daphne :)

DAPHNE: Thank you. It's great to be here.

STEPH: Daphne, how did you get involved in spying for the OSS?

DAPHNE: My boss, Tom, asked me to join the O.S.S. It seemed exciting at the time. My grand-mother was a spy during WWI and the idea made me feel closer to her. Plus, I was afraid that my job might be at stake if I didn't.



STEPH: Is there someone who has been a big influence on your life?

DAPHNE: The person who has been the biggest influence on my life is my friend, Anya. She was my grand-mother's best friend and my nanny when I was a child. She's been with me my entire life.



STEPH: How did you get into reporting? What do you love about it?

DAPHNE: I've always had an eye for mystery. Reporting is my dream job because it allows me to be a snoop, but in a good way. I love everything about it, especially the freedom it offers. Since taking the job, I'm no longer stuck in the copy room at a desk all day.



STEPH: What are your thoughts on the War? What do you have to ration?

I'll be glad when the war is over and they boys are home safely. The war has taught us many things in America, including how to conserve. It seems like almost everything is rationed. Certain days are "meatless" in restaurants. Coffee, butter, and sugar are been rationed. I really miss buying new shoes and stockings, but will do without all these things just to have the boys home.



STEPH: Have you gone to a movie lately? Who is your favorite star? Douglas Fairbanks? Cary Grant?

DAPHNE: I don't have much time for movies because I work long hours helping out in other departments at the paper if needed. I give it my all, hoping that I'll get to keep my job when the boys come home.



STEPH: Tell me one thing about Kenneth you miss.

DAPHNE: He has the most amazing sapphire blue eyes that it's easy to get lost in. Even more than that, I miss his arms around me.



STEPH: Tell me one thing about Vito you like.

DAPHNE: There are so many things I love about Vito. He's handsome, respectful, and he's a Christian who has had to choose between his faith and his wealthy mob family. Who do you think he chose?

STEPH: Thanks for being here today, Daphne. It was fun getting to know more about you and what it was like during World War II.

*****

You can find K Dawn Byrd's book at the Desert Breeze Website, All Romance Books, and Amazon for Kindle

3 comments:

  1. K. Dawn--oh, I love this. To do an interview from the perspective of the heroine is very appealing, and you and Steph did a great job. I have an old box of keepsakes from my mother's house--things that are mine or pertain to me. One thing is a ration book of stamps.The paper and colored stamps are yellow and brittle. Very few stamps were used because I was born near the end of the war. My book has my name on it,my little sister has her book, and so does my older sister. Everyone got a ration book, no matter the age. Thanks for the memories--Celia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celia, how interesting to learn about the stamp rationing. Your book sounds like a true keepsake. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

    Moderator Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celia:
    That's so cool! What a wonderful keepsake to pass on through the family.

    ReplyDelete