Thursday 24 June 2010

One Writer's Journey to Inspirational Writing, Part 2, by Regina Andrews



The Light of Tomorrow

After the flurry of activity, the quiet set in. These were the days when I would write in my journal, pouring out my heart to God. One day I tried to slip my notebook into a
drawer at my desk, but I hit a roadblock. Something in the drawer was in the way. Frustrated, I yanked it out. Turns out it was the full manuscript of my first attempt at a romance novel from years earlier.

I remembered the tears when the big, yellow envelope had come back to me in the mail. And I remembered my father's words of consolation and encouragement. "Keep at it," he'd say. "Never give up on your dreams."

If only I could speak with him now! I couldn't. But, I realized I could listen to him by remembering what he had said to me.
So I began writing my happy romance stories once again, except now they were coming out different. This time, they had the added dimension of faith. I couldn't help it. The faith that was such a part of me now, so prominent and at the forefront my mindset, was a perspective that was just as real to me as a writer as the other parts of the story I was writing.

It struck me as quirky, since I hadn't really read romance novels like that before. But I kept it up. Writing, right from the heart without constraint. I joined my local chapter of RWA. And then I took a night class.

Our assignment was to read the class the first three pages of a book we would like to publish. This was my moment of truth. I loved my book…but to go public it? I cringed. What would they think? What if they thought my writing rotted? What if they ridiculed a story that was faith-centered? What if they sneered at my faith? You can imagine the doubts. But I did it. "Never give up on your dreams."

When I looked up after I finished reading, I saw smiles. Sincere smiles. Something opened up in my heart. It felt like a shining new life path was before me, and I was taking my first steps on this path. Then the instructor said he thought my work could get published.

It wasn't easy. It took years. But it eventually did happen.
Looking back now, I can only be grateful for the shelter of God’s grace and love at this crossroads in my life. His gifts carried me on my journey, although I didn't understand any of it at first. Through Him, I've met so many wonderful friends and colleagues along the way; I never could have done it alone, ever. My prayer is that each of you, in your own ways and on your own personal journeys, will experience the fullness and joy of His loving grace.

I'd also recommend listening to that little voice inside that's telling you: "Don't throw it out! Not yet!" or "Get rid of it! Start a new one!"

We might not know why our inner voice is urging us towards something. I didn't. But I trusted it. And I believe that trusting our hearts is the path to take so you "never give up on your dreams."

5 comments:

  1. Regina,
    I think that's a big thing - trust. Trust your heart to write the writing you want to write. Thanks for being here this week

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph,
    Thank you so much for having me. I appreciate it and feel very blessed. I am very grateful for all my wonderful friends in our Desert Breeze writing family.

    Hugs,
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspirational about your dad and about listening to God. I'm glad you didn't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Diane! :-)
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regina, so sorry to chime in late on your wonderful posts. I'm an inspy author/reader/fan myself, and love publishers who support the genre. I think our world needs much more of the uplifting, loving, hopeful messages inspirationals deliver. Best of success to you, and blessings. I look forward to reading your book!

    ReplyDelete