Monday 4 July 2011

Author Spotlight - Q&A with K. Dawn Byrd


STEPH: I don't know much about Mistaken Identity. Can you tell me a little more about it?

K DAWN: It's a Christian fiction young adult romance about two best friends who both fall in love with the same guy, only they don't know it. Lexi knows him as C.J. and Eden knows him as Channing, which is what his mother calls him. Lexi is drop dead gorgeous, a little wild, and not a Christian. Eden is not as pretty and a Christian who the girls like to make fun of because of her faith and "goody-goody-two-shoes" ways. So, who will get the guy? The girl who's up for anything or the girl who's out to do the right thing?

STEPH: How long did it take to write?

K DAWN: After I conquered NaNoWriMo, I have my own personal NaNo several times a year where I write books in 30 day spurts. I'll write it in 30 days, put it away, and then go back and edit later. For me, it's the only way to write and it keeps the plot and characters fresh in my mind.

STEPH: Did you do a lot of research for the novel?

K DAWN: Not really. I did ask my step-daughter some questions about high school, but that was about it other than some research on car surfing.

STEPH: Where did the inspiration for the story come from?



K DAWN: Strange ideas pop in my head sometimes. I just wondered what would happen if a gorgeous non-Christian and a not as pretty Christian fell in love with the same guy. Would he choose the wild party girl who would do whatever he wanted or the Christian who had good morals and values?

STEPH: What is the theme of the novel?

K DAWN: The theme is that even though you may be ridiculed for your beliefs, it's worth it to do the right thing.

STEPH: What do you want readers to take away from the novel when they finish it?

K DAWN: I hope Christian teens will be encouraged in their walk with the Lord.

STEPH: Do you have an ebook reader? If so, which one?

K DAWN: I don't have a ebook reader, but I have the Kindle app on several devices. I have it on an Eken (it's like an ipad, but a different brand) , my netbook, my laptop, and my personal favorite, my BlackBerry.

STEPH: How important is setting to the story?

K DAWN: Setting is important, but I don't like reading books where authors are too in depth on setting. It draws me out of the story. Too much description bores me.

STEPH: What's your writing space like?

K DAWN: We live in a 1920s Cape Cod with the sloping roofs upstairs. My husband totally remodeled the upstairs a few years ago and placed bookcases around all walls to make a library for me. Unfortunately for him, I don't use it much for its intended use as a place to write. Instead, I carry my netbook all over the house and write wherever I want, most often on the couch in the den.

BUY LINK @ PUBLISHER'S SITE:http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-178/K-Dawn-Byrd-Mistaken/Detail.bok

No comments:

Post a Comment