Friday 13 January 2012

Author Spotlight - Excerpt from "Twilight Over Moldavia"



Thank you for supporting me during my spotlight week. Leave a comment on today's excerpt post today, Saturday and Sunday and on Monday I'll choose a winner to recieve a PDF copy of "Twilight Over Moldavia." Hope your new year is off to a great start.

Smiles
Moderator Steph

*********


Stefan gestured toward the door, and Caroline followed him down an empty hall. Stefan came to a secret door and opened it. It led out into the gardens near the gardenias. Gas lamps lit the walking path. He directed Caroline away from the lights of the ballroom to a small bench next to the roses and sat beside her. He took both of her hands in his and gazed into her eyes.

"I saw a man in town several days ago. He accosted me."

Concern grew on her face. "What did he want?"

"He scratched me and licked my blood."

"How awful."

"He told me I was 'pure.' The same man confronted me two years ago when we were promised to each other in Ploesti."

She crossed her arms. "What did he look like?"

"He had yellow eyes. I described his appearance to my father. He said the man is a werewolf."

"A werewolf is after you?" Her voice broke with apprehension.

"I hate to believe it, but I cannot ignore the evidence."

"What did your father say when you told him?"

"He needs more information, but he's convinced the man who attacked me is a wolf." Caroline stood and turned her face toward the sky. Stefan stepped up behind her and placed his hands on her shoulders. "I sense worry and fear in you."

"Of course I'm worried."
"For me?"

She turned to face him. "Yes. I wasn't quite expecting this upon our engagement. I thought my intended would tell me how he looked forward to seeing me in person, how absence had made his heart grow fonder, not that he might be hunted by a werewolf."

He curved his fingers around her chin and met her gaze, praying he could drive away her apprehension. "I'm sorry. I wanted to be honest with you. Absence has made my heart grow fonder."

She bit her lower lip and grew silent. Stefan sensed her conflicted emotions. She truly did care for him, but concern tumbled next to her happiness at seeing him again. And he had to talk about werewolves first and not how glad he was to see her again. How clumsy of him.

"Forgive me. I am delighted to see you in person again. You're wearing my necklace."

"I am." Her cheeks reddened. "Do you still have my scarf?"

"It's in my vest pocket. I keep it close to me at all times."

"That warms my heart."

He trailed his fingers down her neck and rested them on her shoulder. Oh, how he could get lost in her sparkling blue eyes. "I'm sorry, but we must speak of the creature."

She nodded.

"He poses a real danger to me. Do you want to postpone our engagement? I can talk to our fathers."

She drew in a deep breath, turned away, and stared at the moon.

"Caroline?" he prompted.

9 comments:

  1. OHH, that last line sure pulled me in. I want to know more-about both of them. Good job, Spotlighter and Moderator. Looks like you've done it again! Produced a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for popping in, Jude. Glad I left you hanging... hehe

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good book :) Great excerpt.

    Mary Keith
    www.keithpublications.com
    mary@keithpublications.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. a real cliffhanger there at the end, Steph! Wishing you all the best with this great new title. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds really interesting! Wow!
    mom1248(at)att(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, very intriguing. Can't wait to find out what happens.

    Deb
    mammy3114(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snickering as I imagine the following conversation.

    Hey dad, a man with yellow eyes scratched me & licked my blood. He told me I'm pure.

    That sounds like a werewolf son.

    What should I do about it dad?

    I need more information, son.

    Stefan seems a bit weirded out by it all, but Caroline, not so much. Can't wait to find out what happens next.

    drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Intriguing, and I love the cover! Blessings, BJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for popping in. Your support is much appreciated. Congrats to Mary Keith, winner of the PDF Copy of Twilight Over Moldavia and thanks to everyone who supported me this week. It's much appreciated.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete