Wednesday 4 January 2012

Author Spotlight - Sue Perkins & Dragons


Ever since I read Anne McCaffrey's "Moreta - Dragon Lady of Pern" I have been hooked on dragon stories. "Dragon Flame" is my first book with dragons as main characters and it will be closely followed by "Dragon Clans" in August of 2012.

So what are dragons? This depends on who you ask.

Wikipedia states "A dragon is a legendary creature, typically with serpentine or reptilian traits, that feature in the myths of many cultures."

That leaves a very broad spectrum for dragon visionaries to work with. Over the years I have read books with dragons that fly; don't fly; live in the water; talk telepathically; talk normally; change from humans to dragon and back again. To me dragons are magnificent, huge flying creatures. Dark blue, golden, russet and black are the colors in my mind.

There are many creatures of mythology we are familiar with, but dragons come closest to being real. Ever since George and the Dragon people half-believe dragons exist. Chinese dragons counterparts in Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese folklore. They are typically seen as long, scaled, serpentine creatures with four legs and symbolize potent powers, particularly control over water, rainfall, hurricane and floods. The dragon is a symbol of power, strength, and good luck. No wonder the Chinese use the dragon so much in their culture.

I have my own dragon, obviously not a real one. He's really a garden ornament but I keep him inside as I feel this is where he belongs. He doesn't have a name, he's just the dragon.

Website: http://www.sueperkinsauthor.com
Blog: http://sueperkinsauthor.blogspot.com



MuseItUp Publishing (M/G)- Spirit Stealer; Reva's Quest
Desert Breeze Publishing - Blitz; Dragon Flame
www.sueperkinsauthor.com
http://sueperkinsauthor.blogspot.com

8 comments:

  1. How exciting! Sue, your book sounds great, and I love your dragon. Great spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought for sure your dragon was going to be a pet lizard! I guessed wrong. Writing fantasy sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's difficult not to believe in George and the Dragon once you've seen George's castle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments - my little dragon sits at the bottom of a full length window and watches the world go by. He's supposed to be a garden ornament but he's too nice to sit outside in all weathers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the picture of your dragon and want to know where you picked him up. I have several stuffed ones as well as a small collection of puter (sp?)ones.
    Patricia
    panthers.ravens@yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Sue,

    Wicked cunnin' (that's Maine speak for very cute) dragon! Love your trailer, too - nice dragonny sounds; I could smell the dragon breath! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your kind words Sadie and Sophie.
    Patricia I got my little dragon at a garden centre that has stone garden ornaments. I didn't actually buy him, I admired him and next birthday he was sitting with the rest of my presents. My husband does listen sometimes!

    ReplyDelete