Monday 2 April 2012

Author Spotlight - Q&A with Lynette Endicott


STEPH: I don't know much about "More Than a Job." What's it about?

LYNETTE: Paige Hamilton loses her job - one she's poured herself into, literally day and night, because she is single and the job includes supervising houses where people with developmental disabilities live, so it is 24/7. Then she realizes there is suddenly room in her life for things she's wanted for a long time, including romance.

STEPH: How long did it take you to write?

LYNETTE: The first draft took a week - I was doing April Kihlstrom's Book in a Week program with a local writing group. It was an intense week, don't get me wrong. I planned ahead with meals and groceries and took a week off work and wrote in several sessions a day, but I finished. Then I worked it through an on-line critique group and, somewhere along the line, put it aside for several years. Maybe I got too busy with work! Another Desert Breeze author, Tami Dee, was in that on-line critique group and one day she sent me an email and asked what I'd done with it because she remembered the story, the characters, and if I could get it to her within the week her Editor would look at it.

STEPH: What was the inspiration for the story?

LYNETTE: So many people these days have lost their jobs and need to start over. I wanted to encourage people that such an event is not the end of the world and can actually be a new beginning.

STEPH: How does the cover reflect the story?

LYNETTE: Isn't the cover great? You know immediately that you are seeing someone who lost her job. She's thoughtful, not just sad, but also looking to what will come next.

STEPH: Paige is the heroine. What are her strengths? Weaknesses?

LYNETTE: Paige is fiercely devoted to the rights of people with disabilities. There are some twists and turns in the story that test her advocacy, but it holds true. Her weakness is that she judges too quickly, which almost costs her some important relationships.




STEPH: What does the hero find appealing about her?

LYNETTE: He loves her sense of adventure, the fact that she is recreating her life the way she wants it, even after her job loss.

STEPH: What do you hope readers take away from reading the novel?

LYNETTE: That we aren't alone as we navigate this life, and when we are willing to trust God and move forward, He will bring good out of our toughest times.

STEPH: Are you a plotter or a panster?

LYNETTE: Both. Usually I map out a rough plot so I have a sense of the story arch. Then I sit and write and the book takes off in new and unexpected directions. In this book, the secret about Paige's uncle was completely unexpected and wrote itself, to my great surprise.

STEPH: Do you have an ebook reader? If so, which one?

LYNETTE: I use the Kindle ap on my iPad. I love carrying LOTS of books around with me, and always have four or five in line, but I only read one at a time.

STEPH: Fun question: Do you have any Easter traditions or customs you'd like to share?

LYNETTE: We are pretty tradition in attending church together. Then there are Easter foods. My college roommate's family from Montana served roast rabbit for Easter dinner, which always seemed a little too harsh to me. Our favorite Easter food is Cadbury Mini Eggs. The whole family shares my love of them. The best is two to one milk to dark chocolate. Perfect!

"Of course my family had Easter egg hunts when we were children."


********

Available now - Book 1 Starting Over Series: More than a Job

Coming August, 2012 - Animal Instinct
First of the Time after Time Saga with Tami Dee

Coming October, 2012 - Book 2 Starting Over Series: Return of Joy

www.lynetteendicott.blogspot.com
www.lynetteendicott.com
www.twitter.com/lynetteendicott

Review Snippets:

I read More Than a Job and enjoyed it so much! I loved the characters, loved her occupation and the way you included the group homes and residents in the story. I'm a retired ER nurse, so I always love stories with health care issues. I've never read anything that had group homes in it, either. You must be so thrilled. I'm definitely reading book 2 when it comes out.

Sheri Humphreys
2012 Golden Heart Finalist
http://sherihumphreys.com

This review is from: Starting Over Book One: More Than a Job (Kindle Edition)
I have not stopped reading since I bought the book this morning. The characters are fun and it is an easy read! Great new author, as this is her first book to be published! Starting Over Book One: More Than a Job , Amazon reader/purchaser.

On Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Over-Book-One-ebook/dp/B007F4D0CO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332628883&sr=8-1
On Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/starting-over-book-one-lynette-endicott/1109161024?ean=2940013890701&itm=1&usri=lynette+endicott
At DBP: http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-269/Starting-Over-Book-One/Detail.bok

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, Steph. It was fun. Hope some of the other "older" authors liked the vintage egg hunt photo. That is a play dress I'm wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like an appropriate book for the times. Good luck!
    Janis Lane
    SANDPIPER AFFAIR
    Coming soon: GONE TO THE DOGS

    ReplyDelete