Monday 9 April 2012

Author Spotlight - Q&A with Stephanie Burkhart


QUESTION 1: What's "The Green Rose" about?"

STEPH: The story takes place on the mythical continent of Gaia. There are 4 allied nations: N'Gasse, Tapin, Daháka, and Ravenrock. The evil mage, Balthyser, betrays Tapin and the allied nations. Seeking power, he unleashes the fearsome wyldebeasts on Gaia. Sonia of Tapin and Ivánstan of Daháka are tasked to find the green rose in the hopes of harnessing the magic and defeating Balthyser.

QUESTION 2: How long did it take you to write?

STEPH: About 3 months. I started in September and finished in November. It was a very fluid write and the characters really dictated the direction of the story.

QUESTION 3: Did you have to do a lot of research?

STEPH: I did a bunch of research on dragon myths and legends. I also researched falcons and ravens. I learned a lot of interesting things about the birds and I tried to weave the more interesting aspects into the story.

QUESTION 4: Hollywood is calling. Cast the characters.

STEPH: I see Rhona Mitra (from Underworld 3) as Sonia and Kellan Lutz (think Immortals) as Ivánstan. Ian McKellan is my choice for the evil mage Balthyser. Meryl Streep would make a great Queen Rowan and Colin Firth would be my pick for King Talas of Ravenrock.

QUESTION 5: Sonia is the heroine. What are her strengths? Weaknesses?

STEPH: Sonia was told that magic wasn't strong in her so she was raised to be skilled with a sword. Sonia is brave and determined, but after Gabriel's betrayal, she's a lot less trusting. Her weaknesses would be her lack of training in magic and her fear of trusting again. Ivánstan has to work hard to earn her trust.

QUESTION 6: What does Ivánstan find appealing about Sonia?

STEPH: She's just as fearless as him and enjoys a good adventure. That's what he's looking for in a soulmate.

QUESTION 7: How does the cover reflect the story?



STEPH: The green rose is a powerful magical instrument and can influence magical beings. Sonia is the one most affected by the rose. The rose helps her to find the courage to deepen her relationships.

QUESTION 8: Are you a plotter or a panster?

STEPH: A panster for sure! When I start, I plot the first 3 chapters and when I'm done with them I let the characters decide where they want to go.

QUESTION 9: Do you have an ebook reader? If so, which one?

STEPH: I have a Kindle Fire and a Kindle 2. I love my Kindle 2 because it has text to speech and I can listen to it in the car going to work. I love my Kindle Fire for the color, the apps, the games, and the videos.

QUESTION 10: Fun question: Any plans for spring?

STEPH: The California Strawberry Festival takes place 19 & 20 May in Oxnard, CA and I can't wait to go. I go every year. If you love strawberries, you'll love the festival. The strawberries melt in your mouth. There's strawberry everything – shortcake, margaritas, beer, nachos, etc.

Anyone want to share about their local festivals, if they go, and what they enjoy at the festival? There's a garlic festival in Gilroy, CA I'd like to go to one summer. Maybe this year.

BLURB:
Eight hundred years ago on the continent of Gaia, war rocked the countries of N'Gasse, Tapin, Daháka, and Ravenrock. The fearsome wyldebeasts of the black east threatened to destroy the known world. King Xeres of Daháka gathered the most powerful magicians of Gaia along with Queen Rhysia of N'Gasse, King Erik of Ravenrock, and Nyla, the High Priestess of Tapin at Komodo Field.

Daháka brought pollen taken from the bees of the Tagrassé Forest. N'Gasse brought sap from the old mahogany trees. Tapin presented dust from falcon eggs. Ravenrock offered a rose. Together, they forged the indestructible green rose, a harbinger of powerful magic.



Using the green rose, the nobles and peoples of Gaia fought the wyldebeasts, led by the dark wizard, Augustin. Once the evil threat was defeated, the Eastern Wall was built along Ravenrock's borders to keep the foul wyldebeasts out of Gaia. Ravenrock was given the responsibility of guarding the 50,000 kilometer granite barrier.

King Xeres feared those who harbored evil in their hearts would seek the green rose. He tasked three witches to guard the flower and sent them into the heart of Tagrassé Forest.

Now, hundreds of years later, the peace of Gaia is once again threatened.

REVIEWS:

Stephenia Mcgee, Author "A Legacy of Lies"
Stephanie Burkhart weaves a delightful blend of action, intrigue and adventure into her fantasy romance, The Green Rose.


Regina Andrews, Author of "Destiny's Designs"
"The Green Rose" reaches the reader on an emotional level that rings very true and very sincere.

Book Trailer:


The Green Rose is available as an ebook only.
BUY LINKS:

PUBLISHER'S SITE
http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-280/The-Green-Rose-Stephanie/Detail.bok

AMAZON KINDLE:
http://amzn.com/B007QUBU2E

BARNES & NOBLE NOOK:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/books/1109853031

ALL ROMANCE EBOOKS:
http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-thegreenrose-769936-143.html

FIND ME ON THE WEB AT:

WEBSITE:
http://www.stephanieburkhart.com

TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/StephBurkhart

FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/StephanieBurkhartAuthor

GOOD READS:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4031660.Stephanie_Burkhart

YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/botrina?feature=mhee

6 comments:

  1. Interesting mix of old and new Steph. Isn't Kevin's music great?
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, the book cover is gorgeous, and the blurb attractive. Best wishes with sales. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, I love Kevin's music. It really touches the soul and it's so expressive. I enjoy using his songs for my book trailers and I'll gladly give him a shout out!

    Mona, thanks for popping in. I love the cover, too. Caina did a wonderful job.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steph,

    That's a smokin' cover you've got for this new release. Your DB cover artist is excellent! This sounds like a very interesting read, very Game of Thrones. I can't imagine where you got your inspiration ((grin)).

    Best wishes for the sales of THE GREEN ROSE.

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. An intriguing teaser for your new book - best of luck with sales. I clearly remember driving by the garlic fields in Gilroy and it being very obvious what they were growing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, I am a big Game of Thrones fan. My favorite character is Daenerys. What is she going to do with those dragons?

    Angela, I can only imagine that was some very fragrant garlic, Sweetie. I'd love to get up there. Crossing my fingers for this summer.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete