Monday 6 August 2012

Author Spotlight - Q&A with K. Victoria Chase

STEPH: I don't know much about "Serial Games." What's it about?

K VICTORIA: Serial Games is the story of an insecure FBI Profiler, Maggie Weston, who learns her most difficult case, John Michael Burrows (they always have three names-lol), has escaped custody and US Marshal Brandon Worth needs her help in tracking him. Brandon comes on scene with issues of his own, namely trusting his heart after it was destroyed only a few years prior. Both must learn to rely on each other to catch a serial killer who has a personal agenda of his own.

STEPH: How long did it take you to write?

K VICTORIA: It only took me about a month to write this novel. I wanted to see if I could finish one in thirty days. I technically did, over a two-month period, taking a break for Thanksgiving.

STEPH: How much research did you have to do?

K. VICTORIA: I'm a former federal law enforcement officer, so the nuances of investigation are not new to me. I did, however, research tracking so I'd have the terminology right (such as grid patterns), and also read the histories of a few serial killers to help craft the psychology of my hero and the method of killing.

STEPH: How does the cover reflect the story within?


K. VICTORIA: The woman is the FBI profiler and the Marshal badge points to the hero who is a US Marshal. I've actually had to explain this more often than not because everyone thinks the woman is the US Marshal. Symbols on the cover can be tricky, and finding an FBI badge is too. Since I write interracial romance, it is important to me to have that featured on the cover. It doesn't mean other ethnicities won't be able to relate to the characters, but it also celebrates variety--not the cookie-cutter hero/heroine.

STEPH: Maggie is the heroine. What are her strengths? Weakness?

K VICTORIA: Maggie is a compassionate and patient (to a point) person. I think these are her strengths. She connects well with everyone because of those soft feminine qualities. However, she lacks self-confidence. She always feels she has to prove herself because she's the baby of the family and the last to accomplish what her family feels are important milestones in a person's life, such as marriage and family.

STEPH: What does Brandon find appealing about her?

K VICTORIA: That she is completely different from Emily; and I can't say who Emily is because that will spoil part of the plot. She's the type of woman he wouldn't normally be attracted too--delicate, with a quiet strength--and she makes him want to be in love.

STEPH: What is the theme of the novel?

K VICTORIA: The theme is trust God even you don’t know His plan.

STEPH: As a writer, where do you draw inspiration from?

K VICTORIA: Everywhere! A kiss, a movie, a song. Anything evoking some type of emotion in me is where I get the ideas for my stories. My next release (from Astraea Press), Rafael, was inspired by a song, Impossible, where the woman falls for a man she shouldn't, and the heroine in Rafael doesn't want to fall for, well, Rafael.

STEPH: Do you have an ebook reader? If so, which one?

K. VICTORIA: I have a second generation Kindle. I love it! I find I read books faster on the kindle probably because I'm constantly pressing that button--and want to press.

STEPH: Fun question: What are your favorite summer fruits?

K. VICTORIA: Strawberries and peaches. I pick strawberries almost every year in Pungo Virginia.

STEPH: Fess - share with Tori and I - what's your favorite summer food.


Website: http://www.kvictoriachase.com
Blog: http://www.kvictoriachase.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/KVictoriaChase
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/K-Victoria-Chase-Author/221185567951125
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5762404.K_Victoria_Chase

1 comment: