Monday 9 August 2010

Author Spotlight Week - Q&A with K Dawn Byrd


Desert Breeze welcomes author, K Dawn Byrd in the spotlight this week. Her latest released is "Killing Time." Welcome K Dawn!

STEPH: What's the inspriation behind your story, "Killing Time?"

K DAWN: I've always been an avid reader and planned to write a book "one day." When I began work as a counselor in a jail, I thought that would be a neat setting for the book. I began to jot down notes about the environment such as sights, sounds, and smells. Before I knew it, my heroine had formed in my mind, begging me to tell her story.


STEPH: I don't know much about the book. Can you tell us a little about it?

K DAWN: I began to wonder what would happen if a strong Christian woman was wrongly accused and incarcerated. Would she lose her faith? Would she crack under the pressure? Here's the blurb from Desert Breeze Publishing:

Mindy McLaurin, thinks it's the end of the world when she's incarcerated on trumped-up embezzlement charges. While in jail, she investigates the death of an inmate who allegedly died of an overdose. Mindy suspects foul play when her cellmate dies and she learns that both women had ingested the same drug. Mindy trusts no one, including Drew Stone, the handsome counselor she can’t stop thinking about. She faces many challenges, including constant interrogation by the Major and emotional abuse from the other inmates. Upon release, someone is stalking her and framing her for the murder. Can she prove to Counselor Stone that she’s innocent of all charges before she loses him forever?

STEPH: How long have you been writing?

K DAWN: I've been writing for about three years and have written five books. Killing Time is my first book. I must have edited it a dozen times as I studied the craft. I'd learn something from a new book and tear it apart again.

STEPH: What attracts you to inspirationals?

K DAWN: I'm a Christian of the Baptist faith and even though I don't "preach" religion in my books, my faith in Jesus Christ is evident because at least one of my characters is a Christian or becomes one by the end of the book. I enjoy reading and writing clean novels that would be appropriate for all ages. This is a must for the Christian market. Even though I write primarily for the adult market, my novels are clean enough for anyone.

STEPH: Have you written any other genres?

K DAWN: I have written one romance (no suspense), but haven't tried to place it with a publisher. I'm such a suspense junkie that it was hard for me to write that one. I absolutely love suspense and it's hard for me to keep it out of my books.

STEPH: Do you cast your characters? If so, who are your lead characters?

K DAWN: I use character worksheets to develop my characters. However, I do scour magazines in search of photos that look like my characters. Isla Fisher, in my mind, looks the most like my heroine. My husband looks like my hero (and he is my hero!). If you take a look at my video trailer, that's my husband on the Harley Davidson at the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ncljBid61g

STEPH: Care to share any hobbies with us?

K DAWN: I love to take long walks with my husband and our two Chinese Crested dogs. I enjoy planting flowers. My husband I both like antiques and love to scour antique shops together.

STEPH: What was the last movie you saw?
K DAWN: Shutter Island. I'd read the book and it left questions in my mind. I had to see the movie to clear them up.

STEPH: Have you read Stephenie Meyer's series? If so, Team Edward or Team Jacob?

K DAWN: I've read the first couple of books in the Twilight series. I really liked both Edward and Jacob. They each had some good qualities and they both loved the heroine. There were times I rooted for both of them. I guess I'm in equal camps on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment