Tuesday 21 September 2010

Author Spotlight Week - Jennifer Hartz shares her passion for Fantasy



When I was about six years old, I wrote and illustrated my first story, an epic adventure about a group of fairies who had their magic wands stolen by an evil troll. A simple story to be sure, but even at that young age I was all about the dramatic ending. On the last page of the fairy book the wands were stolen again and the caption read, "Here we go again." Who doesn't love a good cliffhanger? Fast forward to today and Future Savior. Conception, the first book in the series, has only been available for a few weeks and already there's some buzz about the ending. As much as I might enjoy going into detail about the ending of Conception, I'm not going to talk about that today for two reasons. First of all, I don't want to give anything away, and secondly in today's blog I'm focusing on genre. Which brings me back to the fairies.

I have always been a lover of all things speculative. Fantasy, science fiction, paranormal and even time travel I have always enjoyed stories that stretch the imagination and take people to places we cannot go. I'm not sure where this love for speculative originated, perhaps from my dad. People who are into the speculative genres are usually labeled as dorks and geeks, but my dad was far from that. He was an ex-football player and ex-Marine who loved Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings. This made speculative cool for me.

Now, all of the stories I have floating in my brain have some sort of speculative spin to them. I have about thirteen books stored in my head that I really hope I find time to write. This includes the series I plan to start as soon as I get a bit farther ahead on Future Savior which is a YA urban fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment