Thursday 23 September 2010

Author Spotlight week -Jennifer Hartz shares her favorite authors

Author JRR Tolkien, 1916, in uniform during World War I

Today I'm supposed to talk about my favorite author and how they influenced me… Yikes! How do I pick just one? I guess the best way to answer this is to look at the author's who directly influenced Future Savior. I have always been an avid reader. Back in my pre-teen years it was The Babysitter's Club. I have always enjoyed reading books in a series. I like following the lives the characters I've grown to love and watching them, and the story, grow and evolve over a long period of time. I think this early exposure to series helped to lead to my own stories falling into series form.

Another major contributor to Future Savior would be The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Tolkien is truly the father of all fantasy stories and all fantasy writers need to tip their hat to this genius. Right alongside Tolkien, C.S. Lewis was a major influence of Future Savior. The Chronicles of Narnia is an amazing example of a Christian fantasy series which helped spur many of the ideas in Future Savior.

I would be remiss if I didn't pay homage to J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter is arguably the best speculative series ever written. Rowling created a fantasy world so intricate, elaborate, and amazing that it will capture hearts for generations to come. However, this is not what I took from Rowling, what I loved was how Harry was a seemingly normal boy thrust into not so normal circumstances only to find out that he was anything but normal. Christina Vaughn from Future Savior takes a similar journey.

Taking a look back at my favorites, one thing is abundantly clear, I should change my name from Jennifer Hartz to J.L. Hartz!

1 comment:

  1. Jenn,

    JK Rowling is an author that's high on my favorites list. Like you, I love how she took an ordinary boy and thrust him into extraordinary circumstances, but there's so much more. The plot was so intracutrarly (sp) laced, you could easily miss clues. The writing was crisp. It kept me reading, not wanting to put the book down. Her imagination and creativity is simply amazing. I like Rowling's style of writing.

    Tolkien is on my list, but not as high as some others. What I LOVE about Tolkien besides his attention to detail, is his creativity and imagine. It shines in the Lord of the Rings. He lived during an interesting time and was in World War I as a soldier at the Battle of the Somme. Tolkien's own heroism is an inspiration to me.

    Thanks so much for sharing, Jenn.

    Smiles
    Moderator Steph

    ReplyDelete