Tuesday 28 June 2011

Author Spotlight - AR Norris talks about her love for Sci-Fi Romance



Why I write SFR. It's a two part answer that has morphed over the generations. The equation is easy: SF + R = SFR.

First the SF part. That one is pretty easy to answer. I write science fiction because that is where my creativity automatically goes. If I think of a woman going on a hero's journey, it's in space. If I think of a man trying to find his father, he finds him on an alien planet. I wake up in the morning from a dream and my husband listens to the galactic adventure I went on through the night.

The second part, romance, is a little more winding. I wanted to write and read stories that had the characters and story at the front and the science as the backdrop, by which the world is enhanced. Unfortunately, by the late 80s and early 90s SF had really boxed itself in. The stories available in bookstores were science heavy with the characters and story as a backdrop. Most of the pages were filled with expounding theories and physics and blah, blah, blah. I didn't care! I wanted the characters to use the dang technology without explaining it to the tenth degree. But then I found the hidden secret.

Science fiction writers, ones who really cared about the human element of the story, were publishing in romance. "Those little sneaky sneaks!" Romance really saved SF, just like they saved paranormal and fantasy. It was easy to fold into the romance world. I mean, who doesn't want a HEA?

No comments:

Post a Comment