Monday 27 June 2011

Author Spotlight - Q&A with Author AR Norris


STEPH: I don't know much about Duty and Devotion. Can you tell me a little more about it?

AR: Duty and Devotion is a science fiction romance set in the distant future and follows two sisters raised in the safety of Earth's domes after they are drafted into war. Older sister Nettie heads off to space pilot training for war. There she discovers her true strength and also that love sometimes is hidden in a friendship and grows slowly. Younger sister Rinny goes to Mars for surface combat training and learns to try new experiences and stretch who she is beyond expectations. She learns that knowing who you are and who you love means nothing if you’re not willing to fight for it…even to the death.

Here's the book trailer I did for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ5T_uDQru8

STEPH: How long did it take to write?

AR: Oh boy, that's a tricky one. I've been working on some version of this story for decades. I guess, though, you could say my serious work to prepare it for publication submission took a little over a year...maybe a year and a half.

STEPH: Did you do a lot of research for the novel?

AR: Geez, did I! With all books it takes research to be accurate. But I'll say, SF buffs can be super critical...and they're usually super smart about science and technology. They'll catch a formula or engineering mistake in a second and then you've lost all credibility.

STEPH: Where did the inspiration for the story come from?

AR: It was inspired by a dream. Though, looking back there were a couple triggers. First, my stepfather was in the Vietnam War and really had post war troubles that affected our family. Also, the Gulf War was happening at the same time (early 1990s). Those probably had something to do with the dream.

STEPH: If your story was going to be made into a movie, who would you cast as the leads?

AR: Argh! I can never think of actors. Okay, okay...let's see...Nettie would maybe be Kristy Swanson (from the original Buffy movie). Rinny would be Monica Bellucci (Persephone in The Matrix Reloaded). James Northman...well, he can never be anything other than my husband. (LOL! Sorry, no acting abilities but he's a great storyteller.) Daniel Gubvre would be Jack Shepherd (Lost).

STEPH: What is the theme of the novel?

AR: The major themes of the book are keeping family bonds and finding romantic love during the chaos of war.

STEPH: What do you want readers to take away from the novel when they finish it?

AR: If they have a sibling I want them to call and say, "I love you..." Ha ha! Just kidding. Well, you know every authors dream is to have the reader turn the last page and be bummed the story is already over...and think about what's going to happen the characters after.

STEPH: Do you have an ebook reader? If so, which one?

AR: ((Hugs Kindle)) Have I mentioned before how much I love my husband? He bought me the Kindle 3G for Christmas last year. I love, love, love it.


STEPH: What's the last movie you saw?

AR: Prince of Persia. It was very good...oh, now that I think of it, maybe Jake Gyllenhaal should be Danny. He was very...fit in the movie. Yes, yes. I'm changing my answer in question 5 above.

STEPH: Any words of wisdom for aspiring writers?

AR: Be open to learning. There's so much to the craft and it's a constant medium. Take pride out of the equation and be open to criticism and comments from reliable people (not friends and family, they'll never be fully honest with you...they love you too much).

Buy Link for Duty & Devotion: http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-174/AR-Norris-Duty-and/Detail.bok

1 comment:

  1. *Waves* Hi! I think my comments is working. How fun!

    ReplyDelete