Wednesday 8 December 2010

Author Spotlight Week - Gail Delaney talks about her favorite Christmas story


Hands down, without a doubt, not a moment of hesitation… White Christmas.

So much so, that my holiday season doesn't begin until I've watched it and my husband bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago so I didn't have to hunt for it on television each year.

"Sisters! Sisters! There were never such devoted sisters!"

I always get teary eyed when all the past soldiers salute General Waverly. I sing along with "Choreography" and "Mandy… There's a minister handy…So don't you linger! Here's a ring for your finger…" I get a perverse enjoyment at pointing out and finding new editing errors… like someone pouring a cup of coffee with the pot in her hand, only to have the scene cut and have her pick up the coffee pot. ☺

Or the best is when the 4 stars are spontaneously singing in a train car, but only two voices -- Rosemary Clooney and Bing Crosby -- are heard. Even when Danny Kay's lips are moving, it's Bing Crosby! Wow!

"Snow… snow… snow… snow… SNOW!"

You could make a drinking game out of White Christmas if you were inclined to such things.

"Gee, I wish I was back in the Army!"

But, I also like the love story behind it. Actually, two love stories. The sneaky masterminds who play games to get the other two together, only to fall in love themselves. And the maternal/paternal figures who, despite their callous hearts, fall under the spell of Christmas and snow.

"When I'm worried, and I can't sleep…I count my blessings instead of sheep. And I fall asleep, counting my blessings."

Good thing you didn't ask least favorite... I might get hung. I can't stand It's a Wonderful Life, and it doesn't have any great sing along songs.

*humming*… "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I used to know. Where the treetops glisten, and children listen, to hear sleigh bells in the snow…."

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are a serious classic, Gail. ;) There's nothing like a holiday movie to bring in the Christmas spirit.

    ReplyDelete