Wednesday 23 March 2011

Author Spotlight Week - Barbara Scott talks about her favorite movies


When it comes to choosing favorite movies, it's hard for me to pick just one. Today though, I will limit myself to three that have influenced me as a writer. I don't know about other writers, but gone for me are the days when I could just lose myself on a movie for pure pleasure. Now I have to analyze them for strengths and weaknesses, for plot points ,and characters. (The Pirate of the Caribbean movies excepted; I love them but they defy my analysis.)


I don't remember whether I read the book or saw the movie of The Princess Bride first. It doesn't matter. Though neither should be missed, the move stands on its own. As both a parody and a tribute to the fairy tale romance, The Princess Bride has everything: a beautiful, spoiled heroine, Princess Buttercup, her devoted and scorned admirer, later turned hero, Westley, the evil Prince and his henchman, and the unforgettable sidekick, Inigo Montoya. The plot is a wild, fast-paced series of improbable events, and the climax is absolutely satisfying. It's no wonder this 1973 film has become a cult classic. As a writer, it teaches me to free my inhibitions and let my imagination take flight.

The original Star Wars is a movie that needs no description or explanation. It's plot is the supreme example of the hero's journey. A improbable hero is called to adventure and goes through a series of obstacles to achieve his goal. Most popular fiction follows this pattern. You can't find a better embellishment of a bare bones structure than Star Wars.


Finally, You've Got Mail is a romantic comedy that I will watch whenever it is on. Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) loses her beloved bookstore due to the opening of a mega-bookstore owned by Joe Fox (Tom Hanks.) With everything against them, these two still find their way to each other. Whenever I think to take it easy on my hero and heroine, I try to remember this movie and go for the harder odds.

*****
Barbara's upcoming release, "West of Heaven" will be released 15 APR with Desert Breeze.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara,
    What a fun movie Princess Bride is! I always enjoy watching it. I agree that it's hard to pick just one favorite movie-so many good ones out there. You're right, too, that it's hard not to watch and evaluate a film. I like Raiders of the Lost Ark--for fun and for analyzing.

    Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this blog. Star Wars was a favorite of mine. Agree I never watch a movie in the same way since beginning writing. Recently, The King's Speech captured number one for me.
    jude

    ReplyDelete