Wednesday 24 October 2012

Author Spotlight - Character Interview with Kara from "Aboard the Wishing Star"

Debra - "Kara, now that you're all packed for your cruise I'd like to ask you some questions. If you are so afraid of water, why are you going on a cruise?

Kara - "I won a cruise for two at work. There was a contest for the most productive employee and I still can't believe I won. I guess all those hours of overtime really paid off."

Debra - "Who are you taking with you?"

Kara - "I invited my best friend, Viv. We've been friends since we were young, but I haven't seen her since my husband died. So I'm looking forward to a week of girl time. My boss Daryl hinted that he wanted to be invited, but I'd already invited her and I'm looking forward to being away from work. And he was probably just joking. Everyone at work was saying 'pick me'."

Debra - "That sounds like fun, a girls week in the Caribbean. What else are you looking forward to?"

Kara - "Yes, it will be. Viv is always fun and I've missed her. She's more of a party girl than I am so we'll probably dance every night in the club, but I'm looking forward to lounging by the pool or on the beach with a good book."

Debra - "You've been working so much it sounds like you need the rest. When was the last time you took a vacation? You must be really dedicated to your job."

Kara - "I haven't had a day off since my husband took me to the Washington zoo to see the pandas. That was the day he was shot at the gas station. For a long time I wasn't able to talk about it without crying. I guess I started working extra hours to stay busy at first and keep my mind off of what happened and how much I missed him. Then it just became a habit. Daryl always has extra work projects for me. Sometimes it feels like I'll never get caught up."

Debra - "I hope you get the relaxation you need and have a fun time with Viv. Have you thought about what you will do if your water phobia takes over?"

Kara - "I took a timid non swimmers class at the gym, but haven't swum since. So if we're in the pool I'll stay in the shallow end unless there is flotation then I can go into the deep end. But the ocean, well, I don't know about that. Viv swears there will always be life vests and she says we'll be too busy drinking frosty rum drinks and checking out all the hot men to be swimming in the ocean. I'm still pretty nervous about it though. My travel agent said it's completely safe and I don't even have to wear my swimsuit or get wet if I don't want to."

Debra - "Is this a singles cruise? Your friend mentioned hot men. How do you feel about that?"

Kara - "No, it's not a singles cruise, but the travel agent said there's a high percentage of singles that go on this one since we'll be celebrating New Years on board. Viv is always checking out hot men. I don't think she'll ever get married. I'm not looking for that, or even dating, but she's always trying to talk me into going out and meeting men. That's just how Viv is and she's always been a party girl. Back in high school she was the life of the party and I was the shy one."

Debra - "It sounds like you're happy with your single life now and not looking for a relationship."

Kara - "Happy? I guess. Lately I've been thinking about finding a new job, doing something new. My life is okay. I have a busy job, a house and I'm healthy. I should be happy. Maybe I'm just tired of the job and need to do something else with my life. Nights can be hard. Sometimes I get lonely at night. I miss the companionship of being married. The little things, you know?"

Debra - "I do know. Little things, like sharing how the day went and things that maybe aren't so little. Like being held? I've heard it said wishes can come true aboard The Wishing Star."

Kara - "Yes. I miss that. But I don't want to talk about that any more. Wishes don't always come true and it can hurt too much when they don't."

Debra - "Well, Kara, I hope all your wishes do come true aboard The Wishing Star and I hope you have a lovely trip. Thank you for talking to me today."

Kara - "Thank you. I've got to go over my packing list now and make sure I don't forget anything."


BOOK TRAILER LINK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EGAtLUcPDo&list=PLF03836F44D8BA9C1&index=2&feature=plpp_videoDebra's links:

Website

http://www.debraparmley.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Debra-Parmley/19909053561?ref=hl

Twitter https://twitter.com/DebraParmley

Buy links:

Desert Breeze Publishing http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-360/Aboard-the-Wishing-Star/Detail.bok

Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Aboard-the-Wishing-Star-ebook/dp/B009OX5KN6/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349968926&sr=1-4

Barnes and Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/aboard-the-wishing-star-debra-parmley/1113367743?ean=2940015597219

2 comments:

  1. Loved your interview. Have a great time on your cruise. I really don't swim either but I do love to go on cruises. Am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the giveaway.

    Blessings,
    Jo
    azladijo(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jo! Cruises really are fun aren't they?
    Hugs and blessings,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete