Thursday 28 October 2010

Author Spotlight week -Toni Noel shares her favorite authors

Author, Toni Noel

Make that favorite authors, please. I started out with Judith McNaught, Kathleen Woodiwiss, and LaVyrle Spence. I dearly loved Morning Glory, and yes, I like historicals. From those authors I moved on to Elizabeth Lowell, Sharon Sala and Mary Balogh. And then there is Susan Wiggs. She wrote the first book to bring tears to my eyes while I read.

Right here at Desert Breeze, I fell in love with the characters in No Other, by Shawna Williams. Great writing job, as is The Christmas Stranger by Marion Bullock, a story teller with heart. A family friend, Catherine Coulter's assistant, sent a book she'd personally autographed, my first. Now my shelves are filled with books by authors I have met. Debbie Macomber, Jan Karon and Linda Howard are my all time favorites, but Judy Duarte is coming on fast. Entertaining Angels and the sequel are inspirational books straight from Judy's heart. I like John Gresham, Tami Hoag and Amanda Quick for good mysteries, as well as Lisa Gardner, and anything written by John Sparks.

Now you have me wondering what makes a really great read, a story I keep thinking about long after I've closed the book? I have a problem remembering names, but have no problem recalling the heroine who healed a wounded hero's heart. Or a macho hero teaching a widow's son to ride a bike.

Karen Robards wrote a romantic suspense about a clueless mother hoping to get back in touch with her teenage daughter on a camping trip. They become separated from the group, are chased through the woods by bad guys with guns until the hero shows up and helps them escape. I dissolved most of a bottle of nitroglycerine tables under my tongue while reading that tension-filled book, but I wasn't about to put it down just because of a little chest pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment