Wednesday 24 November 2010

Author Spotlight Week - Deborah Kinnard shares her favorite movie


My all time best movie is "Chariots of Fire." I watch it every couple of years or so, just to remind myself how this pure, and true, story was told. No explosions. No gimmicks. No dissing Abrams or Liddell for their very different beliefs.

Some years ago I was privileged to vacation in England. My host at one of the B&Bs talked of Eric Liddell and lent me his biography overnight. I read fast to get it done, but it was so interesting I didn't care! My favorite part was the bit toward the end of the movie where Eric's and Harold's fans met the team at the boat train. Eric was being cheered, adored, fawned upon for his gold medal -- and he just ate it up. Whooping, hollering, enjoying all the hooplah in its moment.

Then, the biography states, once he'd enjoyed all that to the fullest, he shucked it all and went to China to fulfill his lifelong goal. A very good way to take things, in my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I love that movie, too. I've often thought of the line, "I feel God's pleasure when I run" as a sort of motto for my writing. No matter what becomes of it, published or not, it's the passion He gave me, and I feel His pleasure when I pursue it.

    ReplyDelete